The iPhone 12 series is out, and it is already a hot topic around the globe.
But, is it worth the hype when we get almost the same specs as the iPhone 11 and that too at a much higher price? I am inclined to the fact that the iPhone 11 is a better choice and holds up with its successor in every aspect.
Talking about the stereo speakers, front cameras, a bigger battery, or the 4k video recording, the iPhone 11 has all the major features like its successor, and that too at a much lower price to purchase price.
Should you need a phone repair? I take the iphone 11, by a mile.
iPhone 12 vs iPhone 11
- Cameras: iPhone 12 and the iPhone 11 have similar camera specifications. But with some improvements and upgrades in the camera segment of iPhone 12, it provides better photos than its predecessor. Both of these phones have a dual-camera system that supports optical image stabilization, 2x optical zoom out, digital zoom up to 5x, and portrait mode with advanced bokeh and depth control.
iPhone 12 also offers an improved HDR mode and a night mode that works on the ultrawide and selfie cameras too. Still, the iPhone 11 does not lack much in this segment and gives good competition to the iPhone 12 in terms of image quality.
- Design: The design of the new iPhone 12 reminds me of the outdated squarish design of the iPhone 4 that feels like a million years old. Whereas the iPhone 11 rocks the rounded finish design.
- Battery: The iPhone 12 has a 2,815mAh battery, which is much smaller than the 3,110mAh battery on the iPhone 11.
Various tests show that the iPhone12 battery lasts 8 hours and 25 minutes over AT&T’s 5G network, whereas the iPhone 11’s battery lasts for a whopping 11 hours and 16 minutes over the 4G network. This test signifies that both the phones are equally capable of getting the job done and can easily last a day on a single charge.
- Charging: The flagship phone of the year 2020 from Apple does not come with a charging adaptor. I cannot be more disappointed with the fact that I have to spend another A$29.00 on the adaptor. Whereas iPhone 11 comes with a beautiful USB power adaptor in the box, without having to spend any extra pennies.
Both the phones can charge up to 50% in 30 minutes with the 20W adaptor and have wireless charging capabilities. Apple has added an additional feature for the iPhone 12 that provides faster wireless charging up to 15W with the MagSafe charger that costs around A$65.00.
- Security: Unlocking the iPhone using the face id is a blessing, it is easy, fast, and secure. But what if I tell you both the iPhones use the same technology and are equally fast and secure. This proves that iPhone 11 is similar and stands as a strong rival to the iPhone 12 in this aspect too.
- Processing speed: The iPhone 12 features the latest A14 Bionic processor, which promises up to 50% better CPU and GPU performance compared to Android phones. Also, the A14 comes with a 16-core Neural Engine that delivers an 80% faster performance. The iPhone 11’s A13 Bionic chip is also a masterpiece in itself. It can easily beat out many android devices out there with ease.
While it’s tough to see the increased speed over the A13 chip in real life as both the processors are substantial and can complete any small or big task with ease.
- 5G vs 4G
The iPhone 12 has 5G connectivity over the iPhone 11’s 4G connectivity. The iPhone 12 is also equipped with millimeter-wave 5G to provide you remarkably fast data speed in urban areas, up to 3.5Gbps in optimal conditions.
While the 5G is a bit new, but in the coming years, it would definitely be a game-changer. If you are planning to buy the iPhone 12 solely for the 5G feature, I suggest giving it a second thought. I know that the phone is future-proofed but there is still a long way to go for the 5G connectivity and availability.
The iPhone 12 starts from A$1,349.00 for the 64 GB base variant and goes all the way up to A$1,599.00 for the 256 GB version for all the 5 colors.
After the release of the latest iPhone series, iPhone 11 received a whooping price cut. Now the base model of 64 GB costs at A$999.00 and the highest model goes up to A$1,249.00 for all the 6 colors.
Wrapping it up
Yes, I know the iPhone 12 is better than iPhone 11. It has a better processor, a better camera, 5G connectivity, and much more. These specs look great on paper but in real life, they all seem to be a mere marketing gimmick.
I choose the iPhone 11 over the iPhone 12 considering my requirements and needs. If you are tight on budget, I suggest doing the same but, if there’s no budget constraint, feel free to choose the iPhone 12.