How to Set a Timer for Music on iPhone
iPhone users who prefer to doze off to their favorite napping songs will be pleased to know that the music will now be turned off automatically. It may also help you preserve your battery life and perhaps your data limit if you’re streaming music or radio via cellular.
Table of Contents
Navigate to Clock > Timer > When the timer expires, press the “Stop Playing” option and choose how long you want the song to play. When the timer expires, your phone will cease playing the music (on both Apple Music and Spotify).
How to set a Spotify sleep timer on your iPhone
It’s extremely useful if you don’t want your iPhone to play that audiobook, ambient playlist, or podcast series on Spotify while you’re not awake to appreciate it. But how do you turn off Spotify music after you’ve gone asleep and there’s no one around to listen? This is how it works.
- Start listening to your playlist by opening the Spotify app on your phone.
- Tap the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner once you’re on the Now Playing screen.
- Scroll down and hit the Sleep Timer button.
- Choose a time span of 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, or up to 1 hour.
After the specified time, the music will automatically stop playing.
Creating an automated sleep timer
If you are a Melburnian who has their day planned out by the clock, it’s good to know how to use certain iPhone features to make your day even better! You may also create a sleep timer for Apple Music by configuring automation routines on your iPhone. This technique allows you to set music to cease playing at a certain time every day.
This technique works well for those who have a consistent sleep schedule; if your sleep schedule fluctuates a lot, it’s not the greatest option. Here’s what you should do:
- Install and launch the free Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- At the bottom, click the Automation tab.
- If you’ve never built automation on your iPhone before, touch the blue Create Personal Automation button. Alternatively, press the Plus (+) icon in the top-right corner and then choose to Create Personal Automation.
- Now, tap Time of Day and choose when you want Apple Music to pause. Next, press the button.
- Tap the Add Action button.
- Type Pause in the top search bar. Now, hit Play/Pause (which has a red play/pause symbol next to it).
- Tap Play/Pause once more, and then choose Pause from the option at the bottom.
- Now, hit Next and uncheck the box that says “Ask Before Running.”
How to Set a Sleep Timer for Apple Music on a HomePod
If you listen to music on a HomePod, you can easily establish a sleep timer for Apple Music. When you have music playing on the HomePod, just say:
Hey Siri, please stop in two minutes.
This will enable your sleep timer. In our experience, Siri is extremely inconsistent, so if you try speaking the Siri command differently, you may not receive the intended outcome.